Thursday, 6 February 2014

Bake Days - Coffee & Walnut Cake


Good evening dears,

I hope your all having a wonderful week and depending on what part of the world your situated in I hope it's warmer and drier than here in the UK! It's been raining badly for about a week now and the temperature has dropped along with it. It's started to bring my mood down so I decided to do some baking to cheer me up.

My dear husband has been saying how much he wants me to try baking a Coffee & Walnut cake. He just LOVES coffee cake so I couldn't say no! A couple of weeks ago I managed to purchase the Cupcakes From The Primrose Bakery book for a snag price of £3 from Home Bargains! I jumped up & down like a kid in a sweet shop when I found it ha! Inside I found the perfect recipe to try the cake out and boy it turned out awesome if I don't say so myself :)

Here's what you'll need -

For the batter

x2 8inch cake tins
175g unsalted butter at room temperature (I used soya butter as a replacement)
175g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs - free range or organic
175g self-raising flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
75g walnut halves
1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder mixed with a little water

For the syrup

1 tbsp instant coffee
50g demerara sugar
55ml hot water

For the butter cream & decoration

150g unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk (I used soya milk as a replacement)
2 tbsp instant espresso powder, dissolved in a little hot water
500g icing sugar, sifted
10-12 walnut halves

Preheat your oven to 170c (fan)/190c. Grease and line two 8inch cake tins.

1. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale & smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the flour gradually and beat well until all combined.

2. Grind the walnuts in a food processor for about 30 seconds or so though they should not be too fine. Add the coffee & ground walnuts to the batter and mix again but for no more than a few seconds. The mixture should have a marbled effect and it is important not to over mix or you will take out all the air in the cake batter.

3. Divide the delightful batter mix evenly between the prepared tins, and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until raised and golden brown. Insert a skewer in the centre the cakes and it should come out clean.

4. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool in the tins. Whilst they're cooling down, make up the syrup. Combined all the ingredients in a small bowl or jug and stirring well to ensure the sugar has dissolved completely. After about 10-15 minutes, prick the cake sponges with a fork then brush on the syrup and let the syrup soak in.

Now to make the yummy coffee butter cream!

5. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, milk, espresso powder mixture and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the rest of the icing sugar a bit at a time until the butter cream is smooth & creamy. Place in the fridge until your ready to ice your cake.

6. When you're ready to decorate the cakes, carefully turn them out of their tins and remove the baking paper. Place one cake on a serving dish/plate and spread a thin layer of the coffee butter cream over it. Place the second cake on top and use the rest of the butter cream to cover the rest of the cake. Spread over the top first and then around the edges using a spatula to smooth it out. Once covered, add the walnuts around the edge. Ta Da!

Adapted from Cupcakes From The Primrose Bakery

(Photo taken by Lulu)

This was my first attempt at making this cake and I gotta say I'm pretty proud with the turn out. My husband Paul loved it too! :)

Do you or your other half have a favourite cake?


 photo signiture_zpsfabb3287.jpg

3 comments:

  1. This looks DELICIOUS! I need to get back into baking more frequently, before law school I baked ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I love spending my spare time in the kitchen baking away! :) You really should make some time to do some baking!! xx

      Delete
  2. Coffee walnut cake? Sounds AMAZING! I will have to try this. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete